The Grantown Initiative
Grantown Initiative is Grantown’s community development company
- The Grantown Initiative (GI) is a community development company, set up in 2013 to benefit the community of Grantown. It also covers the communities of Dulnain Bridge, Cromdale & Advie
- As a registered company limited by guarantee, it is required by law to report annually to Companies House
- As a registered charity, it also reports to OSCR (Office of Scottish Charity Regulator)
- GI is owned by its members who are defined as living/working in the postcode area PH26 3
- GI is run by a Board of Directors who are elected at the Annual General Meeting by the members
- GI undertakes and manages projects for the benefit of the communities it covers
Why does Grantown need it?
- Grantown is a rural highland community facing a number of challenges and opportunities. An action plan to look at these has been discussed at a number of public meetings and the launch of a community development company was identified as the best way to take things forward
- GI can work with, and apply for, funding from a range of different funding bodies such as Highland Council, the Cairngorms National Park Authority, the Big Lottery as well as many other sources such as private trusts
- A community development company can develop and manage a wide range of big and small projects, can own community assets such as land and buildings, can generate profit to put back into the community and can act as an employer for local people
Who is the Grantown Initiative for?
The Company is run by the community for the community. As such it needs as many people in the community as possible to become Members, to ensure that their interests are represented. GI has been formed to benefit the community within the PH26 3 postcode area which encompasses Grantown-on-Spey, Dulnain Bridge, Cromdale and Advie.
What will Grantown Initiative do?
The Company’s purposes are:
- The maintenance, regeneration and improvement of the communities’ physical, economic, social and cultural infrastructure
- The advancement of education and training arts, culture, heritage, public participation in sports, recreation and environmental improvement
Board of Directors
Chair - Jane Hope
Treasurer - Karen Derrick
The GI Board meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm in The Grant Arms Hotel.
Meetings are open to members of the company who are welcome to attend and observe.
The Courthouse, The Square
Grantown-on-Spey PH26 3HF
Company registered in Scotland.
Company number SC453662